Saturday, June 9, 2012

Am I enjoying my life?

If you ever felt alone while getting drenched in the rain, if you ever heard a song whose melody resonated with the isolated parts of your heart, if you ever felt like that work, workplace and time are going perpendicular to each other then you must have asked from your self this question - AM I ENJOYING MY LIFE? And I beg you to not to confuse it with mid-life crisis. You may be sitting in your hostel room banging your head against an algorithm which has, non-geek folks can skip it (i mean they have no option :D), O(n*logn) time-complexity and BAM! - you just realized that you don't give a rat's ass to complexity.  For you purpose may be to just sit in front of TV and rate the advertisements or it may be to revolutionize the world with the greatest of the idea. The point is the moment you realized that 'OK, I don't know what I gonna be but definitely NOT THIS', you hit that wall. And not to mention that when you have even realized what's your purpose is, consider yourself 2 inches into that wall. :D
Now this is not the usual stuff (not exactly but you know...;)) that you find in every other motivational or inspirational speech and the purpose of my writing is not even to motivate you. I am sure by now (I am considering the reader to be a young adult) you all have strong reasons to support what you are pursuing and if you don't have one, you must have made one! ;) Also, this is no how-to-succeed-in-life guideline. I just wanted to share what made me think that I have collided with that wall.


Having said that, I also want to share some of the things that we all should experience to have, if not perfect then atleast to some extent, an answer to the big question.

  1. Shed your inhibitions. Meet new people. Listen to their life fundas. Knowing others' perspective towards life will help in building yours. Always remember - we should be in a box only when we are dead.
  2. The cliche one - Involve in activities that you think you are good in. (And please don't follow popular Facebook pages of 'what-others-think-you-are-good-in to see what-you-actually-good-in) :D. This will give you a sense of content.
  3. Do not waste your energy in delivering upto expectations of others for whom your existence is just as good as Congress' image in Anna Hazare's mind. ;) Albert Einstein had said that if you want to succeed in life, tie your life to your goal and not to people. 
  4. My father firmly asserts on engaging in atleast one social activity. Be it against global warming or teaching underprivileged children. Involving in such activities will broaden your scope of thoughts and you will be able to perceive life in much vivid manner.
  5. Spend less time ONLINE and more time OFFLINE. Imagine if you spend even half of the time you spend being 'online' with your close friends, who knows we can have another Green Day (the band!). (I wanted to write Dream Theater but then I realized that I am dealing with muggles of the 'metal' world. \m/) :D:D. Cherish your friendship and value it.
  6. Take up any damn activity (read damn = constructive) and make it a habit. Habit in such a way that any day passed without it makes you feel constipated. A habit which you defend at any cost. A year back my father set up a meeting with this amazing person who is, by the way, a very fantastic motivational speaker. He told me that if doing exercise makes me feel happy all day long then I should join a gym, no matter what are the charges and if financial scarcity arises then I should be ready to take up a part time job so as to reinforce my habit.
  7. Spend some time alone in the lap of Mother Nature. Try to connect with her. Plan a vacation trip to a place where nature has bestowed its blessings. Disconnect yourself from the outer world and embrace the beauty.
  8. Develop a passion and live for it. I am a drummer and a photographer. I never miss  a chance of attending live concerts, gigs or music competitions. My camera and my drumsticks are kind of vital body parts of mine. Do not care what others might think ( or read #3). If they criticize, let them do because people criticize only those persons who are good at something.
  9. Go on a long drive alone or with your partner in the countryside. Can't explain the feeling. Its ecstatic.
  10. Become creative. Learn any one musical instrument, any one dance form or any foreign language. Do not confine yourself to the thick lines of dumbness.
Again, this is not a TO-DO list for life. These are (and of-course not exhaustive) such experiences that help you connect the dots. They may differ from one person to another but the gist will not. So put up those shades you once bought, remove the rust that's choking you and start rollin' out. This world will definitely become Andamans if not Great Barrier Reef ;). AND YES! YOU CAN SNORKEL TOO. :D:D

The poetry from a superhit Bollywood movie, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara says it all loud - 
दिलों में अपनी बेताबियाँ लेकर चल रहे हो तो ज़िंदा हो तुम
नज़र में ख्वाबों की बिजलियाँ लेकर चल रहे हो तो ज़िंदा हो तुम
हवा के झोकों की तरह आज़ाद रहना सीखो 
तुम एक दरिया की तरह लहरों में बहना सीखो 
हर एक लम्हे से मिलो तुम खोले अपने बाहें 
हर पल एक  नया समाँ देखें ये निगाहें 
जो अपनी आखों में हैरानियाँ लेकर चल रहे हो तो ज़िंदा हो तुम
दिलों में अपनी बेताबियाँ लेकर चल रहे हो तो ज़िंदा हो तुम......

12 comments:

  1. I never comment on blogs because I hate reading them...! But you made me comment here :) wisely and nicely written :) what was ur motivation behind this? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should be in a box only when we are dead - These lines pretty much sums up how a life is to be lived (for those who want to do something more than just existing). Good Job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jahnavi
    Motivation behind this - My Life. As I have experienced it and as I am experiencing it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. you did a fine job....the introductory para seemed to be a bit jumbled up (forgive my un-geekness :P)...Once you started with the points...u were just AWE inspiring A W E S O M E...\m/

    ps-contact me if u want to snorkel :P ...i have the equipments...B06 Nilgiri :P... not far from YOUR hostel ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. gani, remember the time when we were laughing on the fact that FB has become so integral part of our lives..:p
    I see it here too..

    Draci, nice job. May the Force be with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Shahzad and Adi!
    Your feedback is very supportive. :D

    ReplyDelete